MDE20901 - Possible Bronze Age barrow on Rowley Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Robert Ballment's map of Rowley Down dated 1797 shows a "small barrow or mound of earth" on the boundary of land attached to Little Rowley. [1,2] The site appears to lie immediately south of the main road which was built between the time the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was drawn and the Royal Air Force took photographs of the site in 1946-8. [3-5] The site's precise location requires confirmation. 
- <1> SEM7791 Map: Ballment, R.. 1797. Plan of Rowley Down.
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Paperwork held by Devon HER / SMR. Sketch.
- <3> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Paperwork held by Devon HER / SMR. Timms, 2 February 1983.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 3 September 2017.
|Grid reference||SS 6623 4400 (point) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=910088 (Pastscape entry: 910088)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20006
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/109
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE10893
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE59
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 910088
Record last edited
Sep 3 2017 2:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.