MDE20884 - 19th Century mine west of Tattiscombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Unnamed mine. Adit on north side of stream, also shafts to the north west. Mineral and date unknown. [1,2] Also known as Wheal Vervale. Shafts and adit 500 yards west of Tattishoe Farm. Worked 1846 to 1847 and possibly earlier. North part of sett appears to have been worked for iron at an unknown date.  This record may or may not be a duplicate of MDE9012. Further inspection of the source material is required. 
- <1> SEM7984 Article in serial: Claughton, P.F.. 1973. The Metalliferous Mines of North Devon and Exmoor. Plymouth Mineral and Mining Club Journal. 4, Part 1. 6.
- <2> SDE66180 Article in serial: Claughton, P. F.. 1974. Metalliferous mines of North Devon and Exmoor. Plymouth Mineral and Mining Club Journal. Vol 5, Part 1. 9. 9.
- <3> SDE3410 Report: Claughton, P. F.. 1993. A List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset. 100.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 24 April 2019.
|Grid reference||SS 627 465 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19511
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/42
Record last edited
Apr 24 2019 4:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.