MDE20878 - Cranscombe Farm, Brendon (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Cranscombe, alias Cranescombe, was Lancoma in Domesday. It was held by Ralf de Pomeray. Before the Conquest it was held by Edwin.  The Brendon Tithe Map shows the site labelled 'Cranscomb'. This comprises the house with a very small attached outbuilding at SS 7590 4698 and two probable field barns to the southwest, at SS 7581 4687 and SS 7582 4686. The Apportionment states that these are all owned and occupied by John Knight Esquire, with the house in a plot of land named 'shrubbery and house' and described as a house and wood. Two further small outbuildings are shown at SS 7578 4699 and SS 7585 4685.  The buildings described above are all shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, with some featuring small alterations and additions. The area around the house is shown as wooded and a small area of land to the south of the land has been parcelled off, with an L shaped building constructed within it at SS 7592 4693 and some small associated outbuildings constructed on the boundary. A well is also marked at SS 7578 4696. This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. [3,4] Since this date, some of the buildings mentioned above have been demolished, namely those sited at SS 7582 4686, SS 7578 4699 and SS 7585 4685. The remainder appear much in their previous forms. The site of the original two possible field barns is now labelled Cransombe Cleave and some additional larger buildings have also been constructed here, to the northwest of the surviving field barn.  The farmhouse was visited in January 1997. It was described as mid 19th Century in date with a symmetrical frontage outwards to the view. The L shaped building was described as a classic mid 19th Century barn, with rubble walls and a slate roof. 
- <1> SDE59335 Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928-1938. Hundreds of Devon: The Hundred of Shirwell in Early Times. 465, 491.
- <2> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 117.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7587 4694 (242m by 191m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19133
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/569
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 117
Record last edited
Jan 19 2021 9:06AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.