MDE20875 - North Sparhanger Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
In Domesday this area was included with East and West Lyn to form Lina. It was held by William Capra. Before the Conquest it was held by Algar. Some early descents of this estate are given.  The farmstead is first shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and is named North Sparhanger (the plot is clear on the Tithe Map). It consists of a main building, which now forms the core of Ragstone House, some enclosures and two small outbuildings (?field barns), the latter of which have since been removed. It is similarly depicted and labelled on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map. Since this map was drawn, two of the enclosures have been amalgamated and Ragstone Cottage has been built within the enlarged area. [2-5] The farmstead was visited in December 1996. From a distance, the house appeared ancient but recently remodelled. 
- <1> SDE59335 Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928-1938. Hundreds of Devon: The Hundred of Shirwell in Early Times. 466, 488, 492.
- <2> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 29.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7162 4663 (93m by 88m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19130
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/82
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 29
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MEM23072
Record last edited
Jun 26 2018 8:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.