MDE20866 - Challacombe (Place)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Challacombe was Celdecoma in the Domesday Book. It was held by Drogo of the Bishop of Coutances. Before the conquest it was held by Ulmer. Early descents of the manor are given.  The historic core of the settlement was mapped using sources available to the HER in 2013. There may be further features relating to the village outside of this area. [3-6]
- <1> SDE59335 Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928-1938. Hundreds of Devon: The Hundred of Shirwell in Early Times. P. 117, 408,413,424,435,462,463, 467-470,474-476,489,491.
- <2> SEM6751 Monograph: Tull, C.. 2006. Challacombe: The Story of an Exmoor Village.
- <3> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7989 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 693 408 (425m by 397m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19078
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/105
- Local Plan - Historic Core
Record last edited
Jul 30 2018 4:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.