MDE20864 - Kemacott or Kimmacot (Place)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Kemacott, alias Kimmacot, was included in Martinhoe (Matingeho) in Domesday. This was held by Drogo of the Bishop of Coutances. Before the Conquest it was held by Dodo.  Documented in 1330 and 1537.  It was noted during a site visit in January 1983 that Kemacott consists of two working farms and at least two cottages. The buildings are made of stone, rendered with slate roofs and some large stacks. A good medieval settlement site with associated strip field system to west.  The settlement has been mapped using historic mapping available to the HER but may originally have extended beyond this area. [4-6]
- <1> SDE59335 Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928-1938. Hundreds of Devon: The Hundred of Shirwell in Early Times. 476, 477, 493.
- <2> SDE1312 Monograph: Gover, J. E. B., Mawer, A. and Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. 66.
- <3> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Site visit, S Timms, 21 January 1983.
- <4> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46766 ]
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6651 4707 (189m by 144m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19075
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/69
Record last edited
Oct 27 2020 3:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.