MDE20862 - Lyshwell Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The name of the farm has gone through many changes since the beginning of the 13th Century. It came into the possession of St. Nicholas' Priory, Exeter, soon after that time.  Lyshwell farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Molland as a linear building at c. SS 8365 3057, with a small outbuilding to the northwest at c. SS 8365 3060. These form the northwestern corner and the southernmost part of a small enclosure, with a further two enclosures to the south of the linear building. Together, these form a land parcel and are labelled 21, which is described in the Tithe Apportionment as part of "South Lyshwell", leased by John Palfreman under Sir Robert George Throckmorton. The parcel is occupied by John Baker and the contents are described as "house, garden, barton etc". It is not clear whether the farmstead shown on the Tithe is that referred to in  or if this reference describes the deserted farmstead to the north (MDE12509).  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was drawn, it appears that the buildings shown on the Tithe Map had been demolished, although this could be an issue with the georectification of the Tithe Map concerned. However, the buildings built in their place and shown on the 1st Edition map seem to include a farmhouse at SS 8366 3059 with a garden to its south. The farmhouse has an attached L shaped farm building on its eastern side, which forms the northern part of a yard framed by a further farm building on the eastern side at SS 8368 3058 and a much smaller building on its western side against the border of the garden at SS 8367 3058. The eastern building has an Ordnance Survey bench mark labelled on its southern gable end. A few small outbuildings are situated to the south of the group. These buildings are all apparently still extant and have been gradually added to over time, particularly to the north of the site with much larger, more modern agricultural buildings being sited here. [3-5] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house and farm buildings were all thought to be late 19th Century in date, with the house described as plain and cement rendered. The L shaped building attached to the east of the house was said to be a small barn, forming the back of a little yard, with the smaller western building being a piggery block and the eastern building a shippon. The southern end is terraced and open. All the buildings were built of stone rubble with slate roofs.  A study of the archaeology and history of peat exploitation on Exmoor’s moorlands mentions this farm as having a turf house adjacent to the kitchen. 
- <1> SEM7658 Article in serial: Rose-Troup, F.. 1936-1937. Lyshwell in Molland Botreaux. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 19. P. 315-316.
- <2> SEM7661 Map: 1841. Molland Tithe Map and Apportionment. Parcel 21.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 195.
- <7> SEM6701 Report: Thorp, J.R.L.. 2007. Four Exmoor Farms.
- <8> SEM8135 Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report. 24.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8366 3057 (61m by 78m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18776
- Devon SMR: SS83SW/18
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 195
Record last edited
Mar 23 2021 4:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.