MDE20861 - Venford boundary stone on Anstey Money Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A site visit was undertaken on 9 July 1979. A boundary stone on Anstey Money Common is sited on the west side of a footpath running north to Slade Bridge. It is of dark grey dressed stone with a curved top. It measures c.18 inches high and c.18 inches wide. It is inscribed 'Venford' on the east face. It is probably a 19th Century boundary stone for Venford Farm, which lies some 500 metres to the southeast.  The 'Venford' carving may overlay an earlier inscription.  A 'stone' is marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 8587 2948 and is still shown on current (2013) Ordnance Survey mapping. This may be the correct location of the stone (it is currently shown at SS 8588 2960). [3,4]
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Site visit, H Eardley-Wilmot, 31 July 1979.
- <2> SEM7625 Unpublished document: Webster, C.. 2011. Venford Boundary Stone. Site Visit 07/08/2011.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. C Dove, 12 August 2013.
|Grid reference||SS 8588 2960 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WEST ANSTEY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18775
- Devon SMR: SS82NE/24
Record last edited
Mar 26 2019 12:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.