MDE20826 - Possible prehistoric hut circle on Cheriton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7452 4484. A circular feature northwest of hut circle MDE1307 was noted on aerial photographs. Possibly another hut circle. [1,2,3] SS 7453 4485. A circular feature, possibly a hut circle, seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs . SS 7457 4489. There is no circular feature at the NGR given by McDonnell however about 80 metres to the northnortheast, at SS 7457 4489, is a roughly circular damp hollow, about 7 metres diameter and 0.4 metres deep. McDonnell may have been referring to this, an apparent natural hollow.  The feature has been mapped on the Exmoor HER using a georectified copy of McDonnell's aerial transcriptions . The feature is shown centred at c.SS 7454 4481. It is therefore not clear if this is the same feature recorded by the RCHME during their survey .  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/072 (May 1977).
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7444e. [Mapped feature: #47042 Transcribed feature, SS7444e]
- <3> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 September 1994. [Mapped feature: #47043 Hollow located during field survey, ]
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 24 February 2021.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1044128, Extant 18 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7455 4484 (34m by 82m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18186
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/102
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE12860
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW132
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1044128
Record last edited
Jan 18 2022 12:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.