MDE20812 - World War Two military training site on Ilkerton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Vegetational mark suggesting a subrectangular banked enclosure were noted on aerial photographs on the west side of Ilkerton Ridge. [1-3] SS7180 4444 Vegetational mark suggesting subrectangular banked enclosure seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs . SS7177 4442 A subrectangular embanked feature situated on heather and rough grass clad gentle north-facing slopes at about 350 metres above Ordnance Datum on Thornworthy Common. It measures 5.8 metres northeast to southwest by 3.8 metres internally and is about 0.3 metres deep. It has obviously been deeper but the interior had become waterlogged and overgrown with moss and rough grass. The excavated material has been dumped mainly along the southeast side forming an earthen bank (the most prominent feature of the site) which is now overgrown with heather and about 0.5 metres high and up to 1 metres wide. An apparent break in the northeast side may have been an entrance. The area is very wet and the majority of debris on the upper southeast side may have been to deflect water.The feature appears modern and is probably associated with World War Two military training earthworks in the area (see MDE20814), possibly as an observation post for mortar firing. Surveyed at 1:2500. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655.4065 (July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.4081 (April 1947).
- <3>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7144B. [Mapped feature: #47052 SS7144B]
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 5 September 1994.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7181 4444 (64m by 72m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18172
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/88
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE12848
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW120
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 1044046
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 11:35AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.