MDE20799 - Medieval or post-medieval field system west of Challacombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Lengths of bank forming old field boundaries are visible on aerial photographs. [1-3] The remains of a medieval or post-medieval field system are visible as a series of earthworks on the western edge of Challacombe Common. Centred at approximately SS 7012 4209, two low banks are visible, forming the corners of at least two enclosures. The visible area of the larger of the two enclosures measures approximately 110 by 120 metres, while the smaller enclosure measures 50 by 80 metres. Both banks appear to connect to the extant boundary running north to south at SS 700 420. The field boundaries are broadly similar in size and layout to extant boundaries visible in and around Challacombe, and were most likely constructed at the same period. As they are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, it seems likely that they were abandoned some time before publication in 1889. [4-7] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.3086 (April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/118 (May 1977).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS 7042A.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73109 920-21 (29 April 1973).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA MAL 4974-75 (16 August 1981).
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <7>XY SMO7565 Archive: English Heritage. 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182. [Mapped feature: #47024 ]
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1470726, Extant 18 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7011 4203 (167m by 281m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18159
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/75
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2174
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW205
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1470726
Record last edited
Jan 18 2022 5:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.