MDE20787 - Possible medieval or post-medieval pillow mounds on Southern Ball (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7843 4756. Two short lengths of bank on the west side of Southern Ball were noted on aerial photographs and suggested to represent pillow mounds. [1,2] SS 7843 4757. Alleged pillow mounds. "Two short lengths of bank on the west side of Southern Ball. Pillow mounds?" are recorded by . No evidence for the alleged mounds was seen in an area of coarse grass and some heather. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.4040 (April 1947).
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7847C. [Mapped features: #46892 SS7847C; #46893 SS7847C]
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 November 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7842 4756 (81m by 39m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18138
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/560
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11927
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE25
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1001708
Record last edited
Jan 19 2021 9:53AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.