MDE20765 - Possible Bronze Age barrows on Barna Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A group of six indistinct low mounds visible on aerial photographs dating to 1978 may represent Bronze Age barrows. The Ordnance Survey map records the location of the site as 'Barna Barrow'. [1,2] There is no surface evidence of the alleged mounds in the vicinity of the National Grid Reference cited. The summit of Barna Barrow hill is covered in a coarse long grass with rushes, and appears to have a considerable depth of peat in places. The place name "Barna Barrow" may apply to the rounded shape of the hill itself rathern than to any features upon it.  The information in this record originally included additional data; however, from the available mapping it is not clear whether the two sources are actually discussing the same features and so they have been separated on the Exmoor HER. The separate data is recorded in MEM24572, a site recorded c.60 metres to the southwest. 
- <1> SDE85967 Aerial photograph: Unknown. 1982. MAM 2610.
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7549D.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 November 1993.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 17 October 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 754 495 (89m by 59m)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1001702 (Pastscape entry: 1001702)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18116
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/537
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MEM24572
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11924
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE21
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1001702
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.