MDE20714 - Disputed Bronze Age barrow group on Challacombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A group of seven low round mounds on Challacombe Common may represent a Bronze Age barrow group. The barrows are recorded at SS 6786 4255, SS 6781 4254, SS 6779 4254, SS 6781 4256, SS 6796 4252, SS 6796 4254 and SS 6799 4253. [1-3] No trace of the mounds could be found in the vicinity of the National Grid Reference cited [SS 6876 4255]. At SS 6778 4243 is an earthwork gully some 7.5 metres wide and 1.2 metres deep. It is about 50 metres in length and is in two sections separated by a baulk. It is possibly a grassed over quarry.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3091 (April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/123 (May 1977).
- <3>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6742D. [Mapped features: #44537 Potential cluster of three barrows, SS6742D; #44538 Potential barrow, SS6742D; #44539 Potential pair of barrows, SS6742D; #44540 Potential barrow, SS6742D]
- <4>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 October 1993. [Mapped feature: #46396 Potential quarry site, ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 910095, Extant 10 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6787 4249 (208m by 125m) (5 map features)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=910095 (Pastscape entry: 910095)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17968
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/80
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE10895
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE61
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 910095
Record last edited
Nov 10 2021 3:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.