MDE20712 - Possible Bronze Age barrow northeast of Brockenbarrow Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Infra-red cover shows an additional barrow in the group recorded as MDE1046. [1,2] The site was visited in May 1987. No sign of a barrow here, but a circular very wet patch has very different vegetation and could have given the vegetation mark. Could possibly have been the site of totally removed barrow. In pasture.  The barrow was recorded as a possible moundy at SS 6673 4249 during the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme (see MDE1046). It was recorded as measuring approximately 16 metres in diameter. The aerial photographs  were not available to the NMP staff at this time and so it was not confirmed at the time that this was the same barrow. [4,5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/124 (May 1977).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6642B.
- <3> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Site visit and slide, FM Griffith, 6 May 1987 (worksheet 7 May 1987).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 3172-73 (13 May 1946).
- <5> SMO7564 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 SE. MD002181.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6673 4249 (32m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34681 (Pastscape entry: 34681)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17966
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/78
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE4
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34681
Record last edited
Dec 3 2019 4:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.