MDE20707 - Possible undated enclosure in Cowley Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Low banks forming three sides of a possibly square enclosure northwest of Lower Hollacombe are visible on aerial photographs dating to 1947. [1,2] The Tithe Map for Kentisbury  shows that this area was subdivided into thin strips of land. The boundaries of these strips had been removed by the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed . At least one of the boundaries of these strips may be visible at SS 6447 4443 on Royal Air Force images taken in 1946-8 . It is not clear whether the feature transcribed by  may be partially explained by this earthwork or if an enclosure exists here. More investigation is required. [3-6]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 4094 (April 1947).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6444C.
- <3> SEM7937 Map: 1840. Kentisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 30 April 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6446 4438 (39m by 45m)|
|Civil Parish||KENTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17961
- Devon SMR: SS64SW/44
Record last edited
Apr 30 2019 2:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.