MDE20700 - Post-medieval building east of Barton Town (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The Tithe Map for Challacombe shows the site as the boundary of two fields.  The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map show a building at SS 6838 4051, sited within a small enclosure. [2,3] Roofless building east of Barton Town. Probably a derelict linhay. The 1947 aerial photograph of the site shows the roof intact but by the time the 1977 photograph was taken, the roof had gone. [4-6] The enclosure and building are still depicted on modern MasterMap data, although possibly have been altered slightly. 
- <1> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6840a.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.3142 (April 1947).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/14/008 (May 1977).
- <7> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6839 4049 (33m by 38m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17954
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/85
Record last edited
May 30 2018 3:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.