MDE20675 - Medieval and post-medieval field system east of Combe Martin (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Extensive area of strip fields extending over SS 58 47, SS 58 46, SS 59 47, SS 59 46. Also on 6 inch 1905 Ordnance Survey map. [1,2] Great number of strip fields at combe martin running up from the bottom of the valley on either side. Probably originating as common fields like Braunton and Challacombe. Here the fields were not consolidated and have passed into separate tenures as strips so that many have fossilized as they were. Famous at the end of 19c for strawberry growing.  Only part of the field system described is within the Exmoor National Park boundary. This area has been mapped with reference to the HLC data held by the HER, the Combe Martin Tithe Map and the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The field system may be broader than indicated on the HER mapping, particularly to the east. [4-7]
- <1> SDE79972 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1967. 1:10,560 scale map: 1967. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, 5NE.
- <3> SDE64198 Monograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1988. Devon's Past: An Aerial View. 75. 98.
- <4> SEM7391 Report: Aldred, O.. 2001. Somerset and Exmoor National Park Historic Landscape Characterisation Project 1999-2000.
- <5> SDE65638 Map: 1843. Combe Martin Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 17 April 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 58 47 (942m by 322m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 58469
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/152
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.