MDE20669 - Post-medieval footbridge and ford east of Middle Twitchen Ball (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A foot bridge is marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map on the southern side of a ford at SS 7863 3155.  The bridge is again shown on the 2nd Edition map, but not on the 1962 six inch map. [2,3] The Tithe Map does not depict the water course shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition map over which the bridge crosses. It is therefore not clear whether water was crossing the road at this point in time or whether the ford (and bridge) was not marked. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SEM7993 Map: 1841. Twitchen Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||SS 7863 3155 (point) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 58023
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/574
Record last edited
Nov 8 2016 12:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.