MDE20641 - Post-medieval leat supplying Bumsley Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Mill leat for Bumsley Mill is depicted and labelled on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, beginning at SS 6552 4569 and heading northeast (along the side of the road) until at SS 6568 4588, shortly after passing under a bridge, it turned northwest and entered the mill buildings at SS 6568 4589. [1,2] The route of the leat was barely discernible in c.1994.  The Tithe Map for Parracombe shows the leat beginning at SS 6554 4573, slightly to the northeast of its present position. It appears that the river has slightly altered course between c.1839 and c.1890.  In 2018, the mill leat still appears to be largely extant. 
- <1>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46767 ]
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SDE13174 Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. University of the Third Age. A5 Paperback.
- <4> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6559 4577 (142m by 182m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 57002
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/91/1
Record last edited
Oct 27 2020 3:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.