MDE20638 - Post-medieval or modern gateway and bank between West and North Challacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A disused post-medieval or modern gateway on the boundary between the West Challacombe and North Challacombe properties with flanking stone walls. A small scarp extends for approximately 20 metres from close to the gateway at SS 5881 4762 to the southwest. The bank is 0.3 metres high and may relate to a former field boundary although it is not shown on the historic maps. 
- <1> SEM6849 Report: Berry, N.. 2002. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of West Challacombe Farm, Combe Martin, Devon. National Trust SMR Number 100928 and 100929.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5881 4761 (21m by 34m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA148460 (National Trust HER entry: MNA148460)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA148461 (National Trust HER entry: MNA148461)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 65809
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/187
- National Trust HER Record: MNA148460
- National Trust HER Record: MNA148461
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.