MDE20626 - Raymoorshill Quarries, Challacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A group of earthworks are depicted on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map around SS66124265. The site is labelled "Raymoorshill Quarries".  The quarries are depicted but labelled as disused on the 25 inch 2nd Edition map and the six inch 1963 map. [2,3] The earthworks were also transcribed by McDonnell from aerial photographs. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6642.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6616 4261 (173m by 174m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31567
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/159
Record last edited
Dec 9 2019 2:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.