MDE20625 - The Old Smithy, Barton Gate (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A smithy is depicted and labelled on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 6880 4128.  The site is shown as the meeting place for several routes on the Tithe Map for Challacombe, with no buildings shown here.  The building is labelled on the six inch 2nd Edition map and the six inch 1963 map. [3,4] The 2018 MasterMap data depicts the building, which is now labelled "The Old Smithy". 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, Devon 6SE.
- <4> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46406 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6880 4128 (24m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31566
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/160
Record last edited
Dec 9 2019 2:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.