MDE20619 - Post-medieval quarries south of Parracombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Three features are depicted but not labelled in this location on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 6920 4405, SS 6921 4410 and SS 6916 4403.  The features are labelled 'old quarries' or 'quarries (disused)' on later editions. [2-4] Further quarry features in addition to those mentioned above were noted by R McDonnell at SS 6924 4409, SS 6922 4404 and SS 6918 4402 on aerial photographs. [5-7]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <3> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1905. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <4> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <5> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6944a.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM 13/067 (May 1977).
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6920 4406 (98m by 104m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31560
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/166
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 2:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.