MDE20594 - Post-medieval quarries on Farley Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
'Old Quarry' is shown on the six inch Ordnance Survey maps of 1903 and 1962. [1,2] The 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows two old quarries at SS 7497 4569 and SS 7503 4575.  The quarries were discussed by and transcribed as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme. They were noted to have cut through a section of an earlier boundary bank (recorded under MDE11952). [4,5]
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903, Sheet 7NE.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4>XY SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168. [Mapped features: #46846 ; #46847 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch / National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry - viewable via Pastscape. Reference 1002186.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7500 4572 (86m by 86m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31527
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/606
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE11952
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO453
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE50
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1002186
Record last edited
Dec 15 2020 3:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.