MDE20580 - World War Two military training earthworks on Shilstone Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Area of small mounds on Shilstone Hill. Mainly to west of summit. Also at least two standing stones to south and east of summit.  Shilstone Hill, centred at SS 7598 4592, was used during World War Two for artillery practice and other exercises. A military camp was built north of Tippacott Ridge (MDE11922). Aerial photographs taken during 1946 clearly show that operations were taking place on and around Shilstone Hill . The mounds recorded in  clearly relate to the military activity in the area. The whole of Shilstone Hill is covered in areas of small (1.2 metre diameter) upstanding mounds, shell holes, trenches and other military features. For a full account of the military activity in the area, see MSO7776. 
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. H Eardley-Wilmot, Note in Parish File, 17 June 1982.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106.G/UK/501 (13 May 1946) 3321.
- <3>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 22 December 1993. [Mapped feature: #46916 ]
|Grid reference||SS 7598 4592 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20028
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/573
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11945
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE573
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1002089
Record last edited
Jan 19 2021 5:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.