MDE20576 - Holworthy Farm, Parracombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Holworthy. Documented in 1213 and 1544.  The Tithe Map and accompanying apportionment document record that the farmstead was owned by the Reverend Knight in c.1840. All land including much 'New Ground' is shown as arable. The map itself shows four farm buildings at SS 6816 4409 (the farmhouse), SS 6816 4410 (a large barn or stables), SS 6815 4410 (a smaller outbuilding) and SS 6814 4405 (a small building on the edge of the farmstead); these all still appear to be extant.  A further building was added to the farmstead by the time of the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS68144409, which again seems to still be extant. The layout appears to remain unchanged by the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed. The farmstead has since been extended to the northeast. [3-5] The farmstead was visited in December 1996 but seen from the drive. The farmhouse was thought to be 19th Century in date but it was acknowledged it may contain earlier elements. The large barn mentioned above  was noted to be built of stone rubble and forms a small yard with the house. The other historic buildings are also built of stone rubble.  Research project proposed at Holworthy Farm. Earthworks beside the farmhouse may represent an earlier settlement. Funding application. 
- <1> SDE1312 Monograph: Gover, J. E. B., Mawer, A. and Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. 67.
- <2> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 23.
- <7> SDE76536 Unassigned: North Devon Archaeological Society. 2002. Holworthy Farm.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6819 4407 (173m by 111m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20023
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/123
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/3): 23
Record last edited
Nov 26 2019 2:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.