MDE20575 - Higher Holworthy, Parracombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two buildings are depicted within an area of small enclosures, at SS 6861 4409 and SS 6864 4405 on the Tithe Map for Parracombe. They are within land parcels 2 and 1 respectively, with further parcels being numbered 3, 4 and larger parcels 5 to the east and 6 to the north. The Tithe Apportionment decribes these as Higher Holworthy, owned by the Reverend John Knight and occupied by Thomas Dowell. Fourteen acres only. The individual parcels are described as follows: 1: House and Courtlage (Waste), SS 6864 4406; 2: Garden (Garden), SS 6862 4407; 3: Garden (Garden), SS 6862 4405; 4: Waste (Waste), SS 6864 4404; 5: New Piece (Arable), SS 6870 4403; 6: Holy Pound (Arable), SS 6866 4412. Further land parcels associated with the holding are labelled 7-11.  The site has been mapped from the information showed in the Tithe Map. Only land parcels 1-4 on the map  have been mapped. It is possible that further settlement remains exist outside of this area.  Earthwork remains of an abandoned settlement known as Higher Holworthy may descend from an early medieval settlement site.  The site of 'Higher Holworthy' is shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The building at SS 6864 4405 had been removed by this time, as had some of the divisions between the land parcels shown on the Tithe Map.  A further small building had been added to the site at SS 6861 4408 by the time the 25 inch 2nd Edition map was surveyed.  The site is labelled Higher Holworthy on 2018 MasterMap data but no buildings are shown. 
- <1>XY SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 1-11. [Mapped feature: #46411 ]
- <2> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 9 December 2019.
- <3> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Parish file, Holworthy Farm funding application, North Devon Archaeological Society, May 2002.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <6> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6863 4406 (71m by 90m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20022
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/122
Record last edited
Dec 9 2019 4:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.