MDE20569 - Post-medieval bank crossing Rowley Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Robert Ballment's plan of Rowley Down dated 1797 shows an "old bank" running southwest from the junction with a bank which runs northwest to southeast from SS 6662 4323 to SS 6589 4377. The old bank is described as extending "a great way south west over the common". [1,2] This bank, as shown by ballment, does not directly relate to the enclosure to south (MDE1051). Plan also shows small rectangular enclosure to northeast of northwest to southeast bank at SS 6595 4372.  The area was under a standing grass crop at the time of investigation, and no surface features could be identified. 
- <1> SEM7791 Map: Ballment, R.. 1797. Plan of Rowley Down.
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Paperwork held by Devon HER / SMR. Sketch plan.
- <3> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Paperwork held by Devon HER / SMR. S Timms, 2 February 1983.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 June 1993.
|Grid reference||SS 6594 4371 (point)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=910088 (Pastscape entry: 910088)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20016
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/116
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE10893
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE59
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 910088
Record last edited
Sep 3 2017 3:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.