MDE20568 - Little Rowley Farm, Parracombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Little Rowley. This farm and the land attached to it are clearly shown on Robert Ballment's plan of Rowley Down dated 1 March 1797. [1,2] In absence of information to contrary, it is assumed that Little Rowley represents medieval enclosure of the down. Ballment's plan shows a number of "old banks" including some in the in-field which lies to northwest of farmhouse. Present day buildings are on same site as 1797 farm but the internal field boundaries have been changed, presumably in the late 19th Century. The boundary to the land, shown on Ballment's plan, can be followed for most of its course today, except on the northwest side. See separate entries for prehistoric and medieval features along this boundary, which is outlined on the Devon SMR map.  The farmstead is depicted and labelled on the Parracombe Tithe Map (no farmbuildings are shown on the Challacombe or Kentisbury sides of the Parish boundary). The extant farmhouse is shown, as well as two other much smaller buildings, one at c. SS65394284 and another against the Parish boundary at c. SS 6541 4283. Both of these latter buildings are shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but the first one had been removed by the time the 2nd Edition map had been surveyed. The second building is now also no longer extant. [4-7] The farmstead was visited in 1996. The house was described as old but subject to recent alteration, with the older part of the property built across the contours. 
- <1> SEM7791 Map: Ballment, R.. 1797. Plan of Rowley Down.
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Sketch in parish file.
- <3> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Worksheet, S Timms, 2 February 1983.
- <4> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <8> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 17.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6540 4285 (62m by 55m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=910088 (Pastscape entry: 910088)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20015
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/115
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 17
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE10893
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE59
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 910088
Record last edited
Nov 26 2019 2:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.