MDE20541 - Possible 18th Century tree ring west of Higher Mannacott (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A regular bank forming a small circular feature with short banks either side was noted on aerial photographs. Possibly 18th Century tree ring and part of the fields above (MDE20539, MDE20540). [1,2] This area, of improved pasture on a northwest projecting hillspur, is now partly covered with scrub and bracken. There is no trace of the features referred to and apart from the bank (MDE20539) some 200 metres to the west there is now no evidence of a field system on the ground. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/2651 (June 1978).
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6547c. [Mapped feature: #46774 SS6547c]
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 June 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6600 4782 (43m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915561 (Pastscape entry: 915561)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17927
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/41
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11236
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE64
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 915561
Record last edited
Jul 21 2021 2:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.