MDE20535 - Post-medieval quarry on Heale Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Circular mound with short bank to its north. Good on 1946 and 1978 aerial photographs. [1-3] The reference falls in a rough pasture field on a fairly steep east-facing slope. There is on trace of a circular mound or bank in the vicinity. At SS 6531 4629 is a circular feature which most probably has been misinterpreted as a mound. It is a crescentic hollow about 15 metres diameter and 1.9 metres deep set into the slope. Although it is rather neat and rounded it is most probably a ploughed over quarry, similar to those nearby at SS 6538 4613 and SS 6540 4603 shown on Ordnance Survey map dated 1889 . No Survey Action. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655.3188 (July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/2669 (June 1978).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6546C.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 6(2).
- <5>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 June 1993. [Mapped feature: #46744 ]
|Grid reference||SS 65310 46290 (point)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915000 (Pastscape entry: 915000)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17921
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/35
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11172
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE31
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915000
Record last edited
Oct 14 2020 4:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.