MDE20534 - Possible undated house plot and garden southeast of West Hill Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Small derelict enclosure suggesting house plot with garden.1947 ap fair (mcdonnell). (1) SS 6551 4534. The area referred to by McDonnell lies on a steep north-east-facing slope overlooking the River Heddon. No trace of the alleged enclosure was found. The slopes are extremely wet and they are covered by deciduous trees and scrub. No further information.  Small enclosure on a natural platform on the side of a valley. Has a cross bank and ditch to the south, with an aligned entrance. No evidence that it joined enclosure at either end to form second enclosure. On opposite side of valley from Beacon Castle (MDE1022). Modern fording/bridging point in valley could have been a river crossing in antiquity.  There is no feature shown in this location on the Parracombe Tithe Map or on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [5-7]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.4092 (April 1947).
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6545a. [Mapped feature: #46781 SS6545a]
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 June 1993.
- <4> SDE62326 Monograph: Walls, T.. 2000. Earthwork Enclosures in North East Devon and their Late Prehistoric Landscape.
- <5> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6551 4536 (82m by 52m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17920
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/34
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11175
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE32
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915038
Record last edited
Oct 28 2020 3:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.