MDE20527 - Neals Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Building remains west of Higher Cott can be seen on aerial photographs dating to 1947. [1,2] Neals Down is shown on the 6 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890 . It is described as "in ruins". At SS 6339 4573, in a lay by, are the remains of a stone building in the form of a wall 5.8 metres long and 3 metres high; the return westwards is visible at the southern end. The interior of the building is densely overgrown.  A building is depicted on the Tithe Map at SS63384572, with a small outbuilding slightly to the south. It is within a group of small enclosures; together, they are labelled 286. The accompanying Apportionment describes these as "Neels Downs: House and Gardens", owned by John Hoody Chichester Esquire and occupied by John Harding.  By the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, a parcel of land to the south of the site also appears to have been incorporated into the site but the building itself was by then ruinous. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.4096 (April 1947).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6345A.
- <3> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1890, 6NW.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 5 July 1993.
- <5> SDE82553 Map: 1842. Trentishoe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 286.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6337 4571 (57m by 88m)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872529 (Pastscape entry: 872529)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17913
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/31
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE8994
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW25
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 872529
Record last edited
Apr 24 2019 1:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.