MDE20527 - Neals Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Building remains west of Higher Cott can be seen on aerial photographs dating to 1947. [1,2] Neals Down is shown on the 6 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890 . It is described as "in ruins". At SS 6339 4573, in a lay by, are the remains of a stone building in the form of a wall 5.8 metres long and 3 metres high; the return westwards is visible at the southern end. The interior of the building is densely overgrown.  A building is depicted on the Tithe Map at SS63384572, with a small outbuilding slightly to the south. It is within a group of small enclosures; together, they are labelled 286. The accompanying Apportionment describes these as "Neels Downs: House and Gardens", owned by John Hoody Chichester Esquire and occupied by John Harding.  By the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, a parcel of land to the south of the site also appears to have been incorporated into the site but the building itself was by then ruinous.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.4096 (April 1947).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6345A.
- <3> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1890, 6NW.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 5 July 1993.
- <5> SDE82553 Map: 1842. Trentishoe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 286.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 872529, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6337 4571 (57m by 88m)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872529 (Pastscape entry: 872529)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17913
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/31
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE8994
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW25
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 872529
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 3:21PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.