MDE20525 - Post-medieval field boundary on Trentishoe Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An abandoned field boundary runs from SS 6289 4727 to SS 6340 4742. It shows clearly on aerial photographs taken in 1978 and 1946. [1-3] The site was visited in 1985. A substantial stone built bank, up to 1.0 metre high and 5.0 metres wide was noted on the south side of Trentishoe Down. It survived best at the west end. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1635.3183 (July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/2654 (June 1978).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6247G, SS6347A.
- <4>XY SEM6970 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1986. Archaeological survey on Exmoor 1985/86: Trentishoe Down; a summary report. Site 292, visited 4 December 1985. [Mapped feature: #46033 292]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6319 4739 (686m by 288m)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17911
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/29
Record last edited
Apr 24 2019 11:09AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.