MDE20520 - Post-medieval or modern building remains southeast of Red Cleave (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two small rectangular enclosures southeast of red cleave. The visibility of the structure is good on the 1946 aerial photograph. [1,2] The remains of a structure are visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks and low walls to the southeast of Red Cleave, Holdstone Down. The building, centred at SS 6186 4817 is rectangular in plan, with several internal divisions visible. It is aligned approximately southwest to northeast and measures approximately 20 metres wide by 30 metres long. The external walls are quite thick, apparently stone built and measure between 1 and 2.5 metres thick. The internal division walls are represented by low earthern banks, and appear quite narrow by comparison. No apparent entranceway is visible. The building is similar to one at the northern side of Holdstone Down (MDE9009) and it may be related to the planned holiday estate, Holdstone Estate (MDE8962) which was begun in 1870. [3,4] The building is not shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition map. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. Ss6148b.
- <2> SDE95072 DHER migrated record: RAF/106G/UK/1655. 3181 (July 1946).
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4375-76 (13 May 1946).
- <4> SMO7554 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 NW. MD002171.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6186 4817 (44m by 43m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461526 (Original Monarch entry: 1461526)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA107761 (National Trust HER entry: MNA107761)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17906
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/24
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1770
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW78
- National Trust HER Record: MNA107761
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1461526
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.