MDE20502 - Post-medieval building and enclosure south of Ragstone (possibly North Sparhanger) (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
McDonnell notes the presence of small derelict enclosures associated with the possible remains of two buildings by the West Lyn river, visible on aerial photographs taken in 1947. [1,2] A building is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps within a small enclosure. Another feature tacked on to the south may be another building, or another enclosure. [3,4] They appear to be indicated as North Sparhanger or part of North Sparhanger on the Tithe Map 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7146B.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK 1980 3054 (April 1947).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7155 4649 (23m by 30m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17888
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/53
Record last edited
Jun 26 2018 8:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.