MDE20487 - Higher Twitchen Ball Farmstead, Twitchen (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Building remains associated with small enclosures and trackways were noted on aerial photographs. Site of farm buildings or a farm site itself. [1,2] Higher Twitchen Ball is marked on the six inch 1905 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The deserted farmstead of Higher Twitchen Ball, Twitchen consists of a rectangular range measuring 20.1m. It has been partly robbed for stone and has been damaged by the insertion of animal feeders. It is divided into a number of compartments with the domestic area at the west end. The settlement is shown as inhabited on the first and second edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1891 and 1904, and is recorded on the 1911 census, suggesting it was abandoned after 1911. [4-9] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/12/043 (May 1977).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7832C.
- <3> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <4>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1891. [Mapped feature: #47557 ]
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Pers comm farmer at Eastern Farm, Twitchen.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAL 76049 204 (26 June 1976).
- <8> SEM340858 Website: DC Thomson. Various. Findmypast.com. Originally http://www.1911census.co.uk, 1911 Census, accessed 17 March 2009.
- <9> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 January 1995.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1097046, Extant 28 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7851 3221 (79m by 114m)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17873
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/536
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE14811
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO598
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 87 SE28
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1097046
Record last edited
Sep 28 2021 3:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.