MDE20452 - Bronze Age round barrow on Bray Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A round barrow seen on aerial photographs not marked by the Ordnance Survey. Good on 1947 and 1977 aerial photographs. [1-3] Not visible at all on NMR aerial photograph.  A subcircular mound is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, located on moorland north of North Twitchen, Brayford. Centred at approximately SS 7262 3753, the mound is situated in a prominent position, on a high saddle of land between two unnamed tributaries of the River Barle and Kinsford Water. It overlooks Sherracombe to the north and Kedworthy Combe to the west, and measures approximately 26 metres in diameter. This mound is recorded as a possible Bronze Age round barrow ; this interpretation is consistent with its form and position. It lies within a group of four, possibly five, previously recorded Bronze Age monuments (see MDE1196 and MMO2832), and may well be part of the same group. [5,6]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.4442 (April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/14/060 (May 1977).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7237D.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS7327: SF1460/72 (7 March 1983).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4046-48 (13 May 1946).
- <6>XY SMO7572 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NW. MD002189. [Mapped feature: #46673 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7262 3753 (28m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH BRAY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1485013 (Pastscape entry: 1485013)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17838
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/563
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2833
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW144
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1485013
Record last edited
Aug 19 2020 4:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.