MDE20432 - Post-medieval buildings north of Muxworthy Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The remains of a rectangular building and an associated bank or leat southwest of Muxworthy can be seen on aerial photographs. [1,2] The site is shown as a clear area on the High Bray Tithe Map.  The 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows two rectangular buildings or enclosures. The larger is at SS 7062 3748 and the smaller at SS 7063 3745. A footpath runs by the southern, smaller building.  The 2nd Edition map only shows the northern structure.  Neither structure appeared to be extant in 2018.  A water meadow is recorded here as MMO2720. There is a leat either side of the both buildings (the eastern is marked on the 1st Edition map ). It is possible that at least one of the buildings is a field barn and the individual gutter(s) carried effluent from the barn to be distributed across the fields. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7037B.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 4440 (April 1947).
- <3> SEM8103 Map: Northcote, G.. 1838. High Bray Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped features: #45892 ; #45893 ]
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 19 February 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7063 3746 (16m by 42m)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH BRAY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17818
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/542
Record last edited
Sep 21 2020 3:52PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.