MDE20430 - Winsley, Whitefield, Brayford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Now derelict cottage of Winsley. Was intact on 1947 aerial photograph, yet in ruins on 1977 photograph. [1-3] The Tithe Map for High Bray depicts three buildings centred at c. SS 7052 3609, placed on the northern, western and southern sides of an enclosed area, which is itself subdivided. The northernmost building is coloured pink and is likely the primary building on the site. The western side of the partition is labelled 640 and the eastern 647. The Apportionment describes both as part of Winsley Estate, with 640 as "House and Courtlage" and 641 as "Garden". Both are owned by Thomas Palmer Ackland Esquire and occupied by George Rook.  The three buildings shown on the Tithe Map are apparently extant on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The site is labelled "Winsley".  By the time the 25 inch 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the southernmost building had apparently been removed from the site but the other two are still extant. The site is still labelled "Winsley".  A building is shown on the 2020 MasterMap data at SS 7051 3609. This is possibly a new build on the site, but may incorporate elements of at least one of the earlier structures. [7,8]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.4440 (April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/14/101 (May 1977).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7036A.
- <4> SEM8103 Map: Northcote, G.. 1838. High Bray Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <8> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 21 September 2020.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7052 3609 (63m by 54m)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH BRAY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17816
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/540
Record last edited
Sep 21 2020 4:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.