MDE20429 - Mounds to southeast of barrow 7, Chapman Barrows (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A ring bank to the southeast of Barrow 7 of the Chapman Barrows (MDE1061) at SS 6971 4348. Low mound further to southeast at SS 699 431. Probably barrows of Chapman Group. Good on 1947 aerial photograph, fair on 1977 aerial photograph. [1-3] Possibly visible on 1980 National Monument Record aerial photograph.  No clear indication of the mounds cited by Grinsell could be seen in the vicinity of the National Grid Reference cited (SS 699 431). However, a number of small mounds were observed during the course of the above investigation. Two are visible to the northeast of Barrow 11 and another lies to the southeast of Barrow 7. They are all between 1.8 metres and 3 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high. They are sharply defined and appear to be largely composed of earth. Their function is unclear but they do not appear to be associated with the barrow cemetery. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK 1980 3088 (April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/120 (May 1977).
- <3>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6943c. [Mapped features: #44135 ; #44136 ]
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS6943:SF 1748/432 (23 April 1980).
- <5> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. 114, 127.
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6972 4345 (43m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17814
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/100
Record last edited
Dec 9 2019 4:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.