MDE20422 - Higher Fyldon Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Higher Fyldon was built on the site of a medieval farmstead mentioned in the 1332 Lay Subsidy.  Flydon is first mentioned in the Lay Subsidy rolls of 1330 as "Felledon" and then in 1333 as "Filedene".  The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for North Molton. Several of the buildings to the east of the site still appear to be extant but those to the west have been demolished after the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was published. A new farmhouse and several other ranges of buildings were constructed in the centre of the site between the dates that the Tithe Map and 1st Edition map were surveyed, most of which still appear to be extant. [3-6] The farmstead was visited in January 1997 and was described as "clearly an ancient farmstead… Interesting and attractive". The house was described as a long shaped 19thCentury building, half rendered and half rubble. Above the house to the east is an irregular cobbled yard of small scale rubble buildings, then used to house chickens. To the west of the house is a three sided yard of "very decent and pleasant" farm buildings, used for horses. A 20th Century yard and farm buildings were on the end of the site to the west. 
- <1> SDE69592 Article in serial: Annett, N.. 1976. North Molton: The pre-census population. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 108. 34.
- <2> SEM7723 Monograph: Grover, J., Mawer, A. & Stenton, F. M.. 1969. The Place Names of Devon. 345.
- <3> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <7> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 173.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7415 3400 (175m by 136m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 15579
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/38
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 173
Record last edited
May 23 2018 1:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.