MDE20419 - Bentwitchen (Place)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Bentwitchen. Built on the site of a medieval farmstead mentioned in the 1332 lay subsidy.  Bentwitchen is mentioned in the lay subsidy rolls of 1330 as 'Bayntwichene', in 1581 as 'Baintwitchin' and as 'Bentwichin' in 1609. Possibly it means 'Baega's Crossways'.  The settlement has been mapped using historic mapping available to the HER, although it may once have extended further. [3-6]
- <1> SDE69592 Article in serial: Annett, N.. 1976. North Molton: The pre-census population. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 108. 71.
- <2> SDE1312 Monograph: Gover, J. E. B., Mawer, A. and Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. 345.
- <3> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7310 3400 (260m by 180m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 15576
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/35
Record last edited
Apr 10 2019 12:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.