MDE20415 - Bodley, Parracombe (Place)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
East Bodley and Barton. The Blackmore family, ancestors of RD Blackmore, were freeholders of this property. They were settled there as far back as parish registers go.  The area is labelled Bodley on the Parracombe Tithe Map of 1839 and many of the buildings and associated land are in the ownership of Reverend John Blackmore, occupied by William Lock. The arrangement of the original buildings depicted seems to have been little altered between the survey of the 1839 Tithe Map and the present MasterMap. [2-5] Bodley is described as a long established small community of farmhouses and cottages with 17th Century or earlier origins. 
- <1> SDE93815 Article in serial: Chanter, F. J.. 1903. R.D. Blackmore & Lorna Doone. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. 35. 231-259. 240.
- <2> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #42589 ]
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6948 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Parracombe: Conservation Area Character Appraisal.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6667 4513 (166m by 347m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 15347
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/32
Record last edited
Oct 27 2020 5:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.