MDE20403 - Folly, Lynton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The ruin at folly was a village school, and is still (1982) remembered as such by the 'older inhabitants'. Most of the stone from the building has now been removed.  "Folly (In Ruins)" is shown surrounded by trees and small field on the 25 inch 1880 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The building is shown as a cruciform shape on the 25 inch 1905 2nd Edition map.  The buildings are shown on the Tithe Map for Lynton centred at SS 7253 4445 and within an area labelled "Folly". The land parcel reference is 904, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as "Folly: Gardens and Houses", owned by The Reverend Thomas Roe and occupied by Charles Vellacott.  The site is not labelled on 2021 MasterMap data, however, there are some enclosures marked that relate to the original site. 
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Eardley-Wilmot, Worksheet.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1880. [Mapped feature: #47055 ]
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1905.
- <4> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 904.
- <5> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7253 4443 (97m by 67m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 14759
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/69
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 11:47AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.