MDE20366 - 19th Century building on Parracombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
An apparently semi circular banked feature adjoining the modern hedgebank at SS 6922 4460. This may be a surviving remnant of a feature similar to MDE10874. The present dimensions are northwest to southeast 10 metres, southwest to northeast 5 metres, bank width 2.5 metres.  No features were noted in this location during a site visit in October 1993.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map  shows a rectangular building matching the dimensions noted in  and sited at SS 6922 4461, aligned against and abutting the field boundary on its northeastern side. It is not shown on the Tithe Map  and is likely to post date the enclosure of Parracombe Common in 1862 (see MDE20918) . [3-5] The building is no longer depicted on the 2nd Edition map, suggesting it had been removed by this time. 
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Site visite and worksheet, Greeves, 17 December 1980.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 October 1993.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM8546 Unpublished document: Unknown. 1862. Parracombe Common Enclosure Award.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6922 4461 (15m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12590
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/66
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE20366
Record last edited
Dec 9 2019 5:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.