MDE20327 - Bronze Age burial cairn on Ilkerton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7220 4448. A well preserved cairn 9.6 metres by 8.2 metres and 0.6 metres high, located during investigaton. Surveyed at 1:2500.  SS72300 44487. A cairn 9 metres in diameter and 0.9 metres maximum height. This well preserved and well defined cairn is situated about 325 metres above Ordnance Datum on a flattish ridge at the southern end of Ilkerton Ridge. It is evident as a prominent heather, bracken and turf covered mound which proved to be of small stones. A large stone on the perimeter in the southwest may be a dislodged kerb stone, though no others are evident. Surveyed at 1:2500.  The cairn described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs as a low flat topped mound measuring approximately 7 metres across. It lies close to an area of 19th and 20th Century peat cutting and may have been disturbed by this activity. [3,4] The cairn is depicted and labelled on 2021 MasterMap data at SS 7219 4448. 
- <1> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 17 September 1974.
- <2> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 September 1994.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72314 278-79 (16 August 1972).
- <4> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
- <5>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47029 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7219 4448 (15m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12253
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/45
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1320
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO113
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW50
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35476
Record last edited
Feb 15 2021 8:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.