MDE20310 - Post-medieval footbridge northeast of Town Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Footbridge. Probably 19th Century. Stone rubble with upright rubble-stone capping to parapet and rough stone voussoirs. Hump-backed footbridge. Single span, segmental arch. Slightly splayed abutments. Exposed rubble pathway. Situated virtually at right-angles to road over stream running parallel to road.  The footbridge was not assessed during the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13.  A note in the Exmoor Review states that the packhorse bridge at Challacombe was constructed in 1843 to replace a wooden bridge destroyed by flood. There is also a poem about the bridge. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Challacombe (18 March 1986) 49.
- <2> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <3> SEM7985 Serial: Exmoor Society. 1959-present. Exmoor Review. Volume 30 (1989), "Challacombe packhorse bridge", p53 (MJ Scott).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6918 4073 (2m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 1615/2/75
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 39981
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/183
Record last edited
Jul 24 2019 11:02AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.