MDE20264 - Most westerly circular enclosure in the Valley of Rocks (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The most westerly one of a pair of circular pounds in the Valley of Rocks. It is not of modern origin.  A low banked circular enclosure, with short lengths of field boundaries, is located in this area (this may only refer to MDE20265).  SS 7047 4964. The enclosure is set into the slope and almost identical in construction and condition to the easterly enclosure (MDE20265). It is much smaller, being 14 metres in diameter, within a boulder faced rubble wall 3 metres wide and up to 0.7 metres high. Again a lowering of the wall in the northwest suggests an original entrance.  The enclosure has a diameter of c.15 metres, with a boulder faced rubble wall c.4 metres wide and 0.4 - 0.6 metres high. The west side is incorporated into a field bank. A robbing pit is visible in the bank on the northeast side. There is no apparent evidence of an entrance or settlement features.  A circular feature apparently formed from individual stones is marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS74NW8/plan.
- <2> SEM6795 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F.. 1906. The Parishes of Lynton and Countisbury. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 38. P.119.
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7049a.
- <4> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM/2582 (June 1978).
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 November 1993.
- <6> SEM6888 Report: Jamieson, E.. 1999. The Valley of Rocks, Lynton & Lynmouth, North Devon. P.4, Survey P.5 (B).
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. F Glover, 1 November 2010.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7046 4964 (21m by 24m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12211
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/28
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.